Brides typically don’t think of getting ready spaces as important as the venue on their wedding day but that couldn’t be further from the truth! We would argue that a getting ready space is actually as important as your wedding venue. 25% or more of your wedding gallery is taken in your getting ready space. Detail photos, dress, bouquet, getting ready shots, bridal portraits, you getting in your dress, groom portraits, and groom details are all taken at this space. A beautiful space vs other options definitely affects the way your album looks!
Related: Benefits of a small intimate wedding
What to Avoid:
- Hotel rooms- These are typically very small, not the best light, patterned carpet, and dark/colored walls. They make it very difficult to get a wide variety in images for the getting ready portion of the day.
- Bridal suites at venues that don’t have large windows- Some venues provide you a room to get ready, but be cautious. Some are glorified closets with harsh canned or fluorescent lighting. This results in more challenges for your photographer and less natural-light images.
- Your grandma’s outdated house- Look, I know getting ready at a family member’s house feels cheap, easy, and makes sense, right?! Usually, wrong. When images are taken here they usually look like just that… someone’s home. It’s better to choose a place that fits more with your wedding day theme: vintage, classic, fun, romantic, garden, etc.
- Basements of any kind. These don’t allow ANY natural light and even if there’s a walkout, it’s usually just not enough to create beautiful and well-lit bridal portraits.
Related: How to be a great bridesmaid
What to Look for:
- Beautifully designed bridal suites with big windows- Some venues have perfect getting ready spaces with beautiful elements such as chandeliers, fireplaces, large windows, beautiful flooring and furniture, etc.
- Our favorite: aesthetically pleasing air bnb’s. This is our favorite option because it’s usually the same price as a hotel but is MUCH larger with more natural light and unique elements such as a front porch and beautiful furniture/design
- Clean, large, modern, or aesthetically pleasing boutique hotel rooms- Hotel Covington and The Cincinnatian are great examples of these! While still small, the aesthetics are beautiful.
Here are a few bridal suites you can rent in Cincinnati, Ohio: